Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I'm fostering 2 puppies that were recently treated with

Customer Question
I'm fostering 2 puppies...

I'm fostering 2 puppies that were recently treated with revolution for cheylietella and I'm wondering how long they need to stay separated from the other animals in the house.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the puppy?

They've been treated for their miss limited, but how long until they can play with the other animals in the house

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

They were diagnosed and treated for mites, but how long do they need to stay away from the other animals in the house

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

They have also just finished their parachute fit the worms they had

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
10/3/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

These mites are highly contagious not just to other dogs but to other mammals, including cats, rabbits guinea pigs.

The problem with this mite is that it can and does survive off the host and can crawl to other suspectible pets. So we need to be careful about treating all contact pets, and the environment so as not to have an infestation. Their life cycle can take 3-5 weeks. So ideally we would want to treat your foster pups twice to try and kill all of the developing cheyletiella eggs not killed by the first treatment. It will be important to treat their environment too.

Ideally all mammal pets in the home should be treated and a thorough clean-up of the environment should be done to get rid of the mites, and their eggs. The most effective treatments for dogs and cats are topical Selamectin (Revolution) or oral Ivermectin which are prescription products. In light infestations or to prevent the mites from getting on your other pets we can use flea control topicals containing Fipronil (like Frontline Plus) every 3 weeks.

We must be sure to also clean up the environment, including kennels, floors and bedding as this mite can survive in the environment and reinfestation occurs if a thorough cleaning isn't done. You may need to use flea area treatment products like Siphotrol Plus II premise spray in the area these pups are confined to.

In short, I would use a premise spray to kill any mites, or their developing eggs/larvae, in the environment where they are confined, and I would have them treated a second time with Revolution before they are allowed contact with your pets.

They were treated with revolution on Sunday morning for their skin mites. We just want to know when they should be safe to be around other pets. I know they were also treated for fleas and ticks before we got them and we haven't seen any ticks or really even any itching from them since they were treated

The Revolution helps with flea control and with some ticks.

Did you see my write up above your reply?

Here it is again:

In short, I would use a premise spray to kill any mites, or their developing eggs/larvae, in the environment where they are confined, and I would have them treated a second time with Revolution in 3 weeks before they are allowed contact with your pets. I would also use some sort of prevention on your pets too, Frontline Plus is fine as a prevention to prevent them from becoming infested.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pups. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****