Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Had a dry cough and I just noticed a large lump in the front…

Customer Question
Hey has had a...

Hey has had a dry cough and I just noticed a large lump in the front of his neck

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Tucker, 3.5

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
Should I bring him in tonight or wait until tmrw?
10/3/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is the lump directly in the center of the neck?

If you move it, does he cough?

How long has he been coughing?

Can you share a video of the coughing? If not, does it look and sound like any of these?

Cardiac cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv02RYW2TfY

Kennel cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZusGtj3NxcU

Collapsing trachea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042OsjZ5Hvs

Reverse sneezing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

Laryngeal paralysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsv5o3pP00E

He doesn't cough when I move or touch it, no. He has been coughing for a few days now. I can try and get a video
It definitely doesn't sound like any of those coughs in the videos either

A video would be worthwhile so I can see and hear what you're seeing and hearing.

Is the lump directly in the center of the neck or off to one side?

It's off to his right side

Thank you for the clarification. The coughing may or may not be due to the lump, which sounds like it's a swollen lymph node. I would still try to get a video (for me, your vet or both) so that others can see what you're hearing with the coughing. I have two concerns. First, I am concerned that whatever is causing the coughing might be infectious and, thus, the lymph nodes have begun swelling. In such a case, antibiotics are typically recommended. Additionally, I am concerned that this could potentially be coughing secondary to a very swollen lymphnode and displacement of the trachea. It's uncommon, but we do see it happen occasionally. Often with extreme swelling cases lymphoma is diagnosed.

I do think it would be wise to have your companion examined and treated by your vet. They will likely want to run bloodwork, chest x-rays and may also encourage you to have the lymphnode biopsied to determine if lymphoma is a potential. Antibiotics and canine-safe NSAIDs are often prescribed for these cases to help bring down the swelling, especially if due to infection. I would plan to see your vet ASAP.

If you wind up with a video in the near future, you can post it back to this thread (even after rating) and we can continue chatting at no further expense.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Tucker today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tucker. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse