Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 10 month old Yorkie is drooling in puddles. His mouth and…

Customer Question
My 10 month old...

My 10 month old Yorkie is drooling in puddles. His mouth and chest are covered in saliva. He is acting normal and I just noticed this last night. He is acting a little weak but is eating . What can this be? I checked his mouth but he don't let me check it thoroughly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name?

Ace

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

It hadn't stopped and has gotten worse in the last 10 hours

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
10/2/2017
Dog Specialist: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Ace who has been drooling. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Ace's drooling is a real concern and we need to consider a number of possible causes here as this is still continuing some 10 hours later. It sounds as though this issue for Ace started all of a sudden, which is a bit of a concern. In puppies this sort of symptom would tie in with a dog who is in some degree of oral pain. This may be due to severe dental disease, chipped or fractured teeth, oral ulcers, laryngitis/pharyngitis or a foreign body stuck in the throat. As you also probably realize, it can also be caused from ingestion of poisons and toxins. In particular if he has had a flea treatment applied recently and you think he could have licked it, then this would definitely cause this symptom. Hopefully there is nothing around the house or yard he could get in to - if you think he may have gotten into something then do get him to the after hours Vet won't you.

For this reason, this behavior definitely warrants a full and thorough check up by your Veterinarian. It is always better to be safe than sorry and most of the problems I have mentioned above can definitely be helped. Over the next little while, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc

Hi there,

How did you get on with Ace? Did he improve, or did you follow up with your local vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E