Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My two-year-old lab it has her tail tucked between her legs…

Customer Question
My two-year-old lab it...

My two-year-old lab it has her tail tucked between her legs and there's pain at the base of the tail we touch that area at all she turns around and wants to nip at us which she doesn't but that's what's going

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Emma 2 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Emma?

We noticed twice today that when she went outside to urinate it didn't appear that any urine was coming out

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
10/1/2017
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 11 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

Have you been able to check the anal glands?

is she walking normally?

Will she carry her tail upright at all or outward?

Has she been in any water recently or had a bath?

We took her to the emergency vet last night and they checked her anal glands they were clear they gave us pain medication and antibiotics in the event that she had a UTI she's had a little bit of an odor down there but I haven't noticed any leakage coming from her anal glands this has been going on for 2 days and no she hasn't been in any cold
She's carrying her tail straight down and like I said if you touch the base of her tail or anywhere in that region she's very guarded and we'll look like she's going to nip at you
She's walking but yeah her back and seems to sway just a hair when she walks and she's real hesitant about sitting down she's laying down now and that's typically what she does now but normally she's very active wagging her tail very happy jumps up on the couch plays carries a rag around all day in her mouth cuz she likes her rag now she's just very solemn and
Are you geting my answers

If the anal glands were clear and have been ruled out, then it is possible her walking slow and cautious aw well as her caution to sit down could mean there is a problem in the tail, or one of the discs in the lower spine. Sometimes that soft tissue turns hard and presses on the nerve.

I would give the pain medicaiton time to work and I would make sure to keep her still until you know for sure if there is a disc problem.

Would this cause her to not urinate
Could a disk be pressing on a nerve

No, something like a blockage of the urinary tract would cause her not to let out a full stream. Bladder stones come to mind.

But pain in general might not have her squat in one place too long.

If there is a sway in the back side then it could also be hip dysplasia. This would need x rays.

It is possible that a pain pill alone won't work , she may need an anti inflammatory like Rimadyl

Okay well we just gave her the rimadyl which they gave us last night she's not eating so we hesitant to give it to her earlier but we just gave her some human food and she ate that so I guess we will see how she does. Can we continue this conversation or once we sign off we have to pay to log back in and talk to you how does it work
Also can we get on a video chat would that help if you saw the dog and how she reacted to me touching her

You can come back to the question at anytime, even after you rate.

I would give the Rimadyl some time to kick in. Also the antibiotic may be upsetting her stomach so that she does not want to eat. If that happens, she will recognize the smell of the antibiotic so you have to keep changing what you put it in to get her to take it

You can take a video and upload it to a youtube site , but I cannot do a video chat.

if I upload the video you will look at it

As long as I can open the link.

Okay that sounds great we will get back to you later

sounds good.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.