Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 15 yr old papillon developed some mild and occasional…

Customer Question
My 15 yr old...

My 15 yr old papillon developed some mild and occasional vestibular symptom this past spring including loss of balance, occasional ataxic gait, and also a slight head bobble was noted. Otherwise fine except for profound deafness and increasing visual deficits. Her veterinarian noted this as well ag visit and we both nodded in agreement: "CNS." Two days ago, marked turn for the worse with vomiting, falling over, refusal of food. Went to ER vet yesterday and she noted with Angel a fast phase to the R nystagmus, lack of any head tilt, the conscious proprioception seemed intact. But she definitely agreed central in origin. She wanted Angel at 9.3 lbs. to be on meclizine 25 mg. and Cerenia 36 mg. for 2 days and then be re-checked. I am not at all well right now due to weeks long bout with Klebsiella, what is likely primary immune deficiency, and in particular the death if my 85 year old husband 9 days ago on 9/21/17.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She did have breast cancer with mastectomy, no spread to nodes, in 2/14. Has had three litters, spayed by age 6.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
10/1/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help today.

First, let me express my sincere condolences on the loss of your husband; I know this must be an incredibly stressful time for you and your family. And, now to have Angel not feeling well, too, must seem overwhelming.

I'm uncertain as to how I can help, though. Can you clarify exactly what questions you have? Thanks, Deb

Sure, I have an Angel daughter and bought a new pup this summer as I did not want Ruby to be left as an inly dog following the imminent death of her mom. I am feeling particularly over-sensitized to Angel's symptoms as my 14 year old beardie died a horrible death with seizures and a profound fear reaction from what was best determined to be a brainstem stroke or spreading tumor/cancer. I cannot tolerate the thought of this occurring with my girl. She has polyuria/polydipsia. You have added nothing to this conversation but asking me another general question a clerk could have asked. I feel that for me, I would have her put down ASAP. I know personally from my own life the horrors of vestibular disease. I never want to be responsible for my own animals' suffering. She has reached a good milestone age for a pap. Can now barely find a dog biscuit when she did finally show some interest in food this AM

Unfortunately, my state board prohibits phone conversations but I hope that this format continues to be acceptable to you. My apologies for the inconvenience. Deb

OK that is fine

I understand the emotional pain that you must be experiencing but I regret that I cannot continue this conversation and will, therefore, opt out in the hopes that another expert will be able to help you.

I have a very ill neighbor who requires my assistance so that I have to step away from my computer. My best wishes to you and Angel as you struggle with doing what's best for her. Regards, Deb

BTW, I do not have e-mail access right now. I can always be reached via facebook messenger for a more in-depth conversation Joella *********