Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 14 year old Chihuahua. She has a tumor that has…

Customer Question
I have a 14...

I have a 14 year old Chihuahua. She has a tumor that has grown to about golf ball size. Today it busted and is oozing blood. Had a horrible smell. I have not had the money to take her to the vet. I cleaned it with peroxide and put antibiotic ointment on it. I dont want her to suffer. When it busted it left a gaping get hole

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?

She won't let you bandage it she pushes it off

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
9/30/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a picture of what you're seeing?

Will she not permit a bandage to be placed or will she not leave it alone?

She won't leave it alone

I doubt she will let me take a pic right now she but me when I wS trying to help her. Tumor is very hard
Bit me

Where is it located on her body?

On her abdomen near her back legs about 3 or 4 inches to where she urinates

And she's unwilling to allow you to take a picture at this time, correct? Do you wish to move forward without sharing a picture?

I could go take a picture and return but will Have to reconnect
Are you there

A bandage is going to be wise. If she's unwilling to leave it alone, she needs to be placed into an e-collar that extends at least 1" past her nose, perhaps longer if she's able to move around it. You can buy these online, purchase from a vet's office, buy at a pet store or you can make your own using these instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU I would recommend that you use non-stick bandaging to place on the tumor itself, then wrap lightly with vet wrap and secure using elasticon bandaging tape half on the bandage and half on the fur to keep it stable. The bandage should be changed daily. The area should be cleaned with a mild soap and water before bandaging occurs and a thin layer of regular Neosporin applied to facilitate healing and avoid infection. This may need to be done daily for weeks if this area cannot be addressed medically. I will warn you that it does sound like this is in the mammary chain and may be cancerous. More tumors may arise. You can find all the bandaging supplies I mentioned here: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2e87beb5-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

If you cannot afford to have her examined, I would look for financial aid through these organizations:

Red Rover: https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care

Best friends: http://bestfriends.org/resources/financial-aid-pets

AVMA: https://www.avma.org/public/YourVet/Pages/Financial-assistance-for-veterinary-care-costs.aspx

HSUS: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

PAWS: https://www.paws.org/cats-and-dogs/other-services/help-with-veterinary-bills/

Your dogs friend: http://yourdogsfriend.org/we-recommend/need-help-paying-vet-bills/

AFRP: https://www.animalfriendsrescue.org/financialassistance.html

Speaking for Spot: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Bella today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse