Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 50 lb dog ate 3/4 of a 650 mg. Tylenol? Hedy. 3

Customer Question
My 50 lb dog...

My 50 lb dog ate 3/4 of a 650 mg. Tylenol?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Hedy

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Hedy?

3

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
Is the question being answered
Thank you
Are you there
9/29/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 7 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Your dog should be fine. Hedy should not even need to have vomiting induced since the amount ingested is not a toxic dosage and Hedy likely won't even have any signs of ingestion at all. The amount ingested is within the safety zone of the drug for one day.

While ibuprofen and acetaminophen are sometimes used in veterinary medicine, the safety margin between a theraputic dose and toxic dose is narrow and I would not use it. I can give you a site that discusses these drugs and the usage, precautions and dosage.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ibuprofen-motrin-advil-etc

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetaminophen-tylenol

.

These sites discuss the toxicity of these drugs.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/toxins-poisons/ibuprofen-toxicity-in-dogs

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/toxins-poisons/acetaminophen-tylenol-toxicity-in-dogs

.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.