Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog stitches 5 days back... but I see that two of his…

Customer Question
Hi, my dog stitches...

Hi, my dog stitches 5 days back... but I see that two of his stitches are Brocken and the wound has opened there

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No, there's no bleeding

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name?

Jazz

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jazz?

The skin around the stiches has slight blotches of skin darkening

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
9/29/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Denise, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Jazz.

I have a few questions to understand his condition better:

Where are the stitches on his body?

Why did he receive stitches?

Is he currently taking any medications?

Can you upload a photo?

He was given a long dose of antibiotics to heal the wound, and three days of antibiotics after the stitches, but right now no medication only cleaning of the wound

Ok, thank you for the photos.

What are you using to clean the wound?

I was sending him to the vet and he has been cleaning it every day since the stitches, it has been 5 days now

Ok, I see. I recommend taking Jazz back to this vet today to have the wound assessed up close and cleaned. From the photos, it appears stable at this time. Depending on how deep the wound is, your vet may elect to resuture the open area closed again, or may leave it open to allow it to drain.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!