Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My poodle is 11 years old and has a large fatty tumor in his…

Customer Question
My poodle is 11...

My poodle is 11 years old and has a large fatty tumor in his upper body on the side of his chest. My vets say not to worry, but it is getting larger. Should I have an X-ray done to determine size and if it has grown too near organs. I am desperate.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Have had small ones remov d before. He is diabetic, lost one of his eyes because of a cataract and takes insulin after meals, I do eye drops twice a day, and he takes pills in thr morning and evening because of the loss of his eye. He is wonderful. I don't want him to suffer.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/28/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. If this is a large fatty tumor on the chest wall - the outside layers of muscle, fat, skin of the chest - then this fatty tumor shouldn't be something that is impinging on the inside of the chest cavity. You could always take an x-ray to see if there are any other issues going on inside the chest or abdomen, but again, if this is a fatty lipoma on the chest wall, they aren't invasive and go inward. As far as removal of the fatty tumor, that is always a tough call. Honestly, I would probably go down the same route as your vet saying not to worry as its growth hopefully isn't quick enough that it will impinge on mobility issues. If it was to be getting larger quicker and it could affect mobility, then surgery when it is smaller would be better.