Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 11 month old rescue accidentally got bit yesterday at…

Customer Question
Hi, my 11 month...

Hi, my 11 month old rescue accidentally got bit yesterday at daycare. Diego (my dog) is 55 lbs and was playing with a German shephard almost twice his size and when they were wrestling one of the Shepard’s canines ended up going into his cheek, it wasn’t aggressive, more like a head butt but with big teeth involved. Anyway, he looks lightly bled on & off for about 6 hrs. The bleeding was very light (more like leaking), and mostly after using his mouth (the wound is just back and up of the right side of his mouth. I washed it off with sterile water and put polysporine on it. It’s been almost 24 hrs and it’s not hot to the touch, or red. He’s a tiny bit less energetic than usual but other than that seems totally fine. I’m going to clean it with peroxide and continue to keep an eye on it for any signs of infection. He’s had to be on antibiotics twice in the past 4 months (kennel cough even with vaccination, and puppy pyoderma), and Id really prefer to not have to give him more unless he needs them. That said, I definitely don’t want him to get an infection and will go to the vet at the first sign he’s not healing well. Is there anything else you can recommend? FYI, he’s short haired so I haven’t trimmed his fur around the wound and he can’t really get to it with his tongue to lick it because of it’s loca.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about )?

*location He’s not bleeding anymore

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
9/27/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Diego. Accidents can happen at puppy / doggy day care. I probably see a similar incident to this about every other month at my ER. Any chance you can post a picture of what you're seeing? Is he still eating and drinking well?

He’s eating and drinking fine
Aside from being a little less playful than usual, he’s behaving and looking totally like normal. And I think the less playful part is mostly not playing ball/tug of war likely because his face hurts
Hello?
This is my first time using justanswer so I’m not sure how long it should take for a reply?
Also, I kept him home from daycare today but was thinking of taking him to the offleash park, I’m wondering how long I should keep him from playing with other dogs?

I'm extremely sorry for my delay as for some reason I lost internet hook up. That is good that he's eating and drinking fine. Good job on the pictures. How long should he be kept from playing with other dogs? Honestly, if the play isn't too rough, he can play tomorrow with them. I just wouldn't want to have a lot of grabbing around the mouth area to have this area hit / bumped. If they are just running around and having fun, that is definitely ok. The exercise and social interaction for him would be good! As far that wound itself, can it heal with time and the topical care that you're doing? It may. Could it heal faster if you got him to your vet so they can clip the fur from the area and then start some oral antibiotics? Yes. That wound itself is hard to see as far as the depth and width. It is most likely a wound that is too old to consider suturing at this time, but I would vote for that trip to the vet to start the antibiotics and help it to heal with the least issues. Sorry again for my internet issues!

Okay, yeah, I was hoping I’d be able to deal with it myself but I also totally understand the “healing faster & better” with the vet recommendation as well.

This type of wound could in theory happen with any outside dog and not be directly addressed by a veterinarian and have an ok chance of healing. It is always my precaution towards being proactive in these situations to try and give them the best chance to heal quickly and as thoroughly as possible. It is also something that Diego will be happier to have help getting it to heal faster so he doesn't have to linger with it longer than he has too.

How is Diego doing at this time? I'm curious to hear about his healing.