Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I forgot to feed my dog dinner last night and I'm the middle…

Customer Question
I forgot to feed...

I forgot to feed my dog dinner last night and I'm the middle of the night woke up to her shivering. I was able to get her up and feed her, but it was roughly 8 hours after her normal feeding time. She isn't shivering any longer, but so want to understand if the shakingwas due to the missed feeding or something more serious.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Gina and she is 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gina?

She also shivered after a car ride and bath three days ago. This is somewhat abnormal for her

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 11 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

What breed of dog is she?

She is a Pug

Thank you. Please give me a few minutes to type up your answer.

Smaller dogs can have a drop in blood sugar from not eating, but usually it takes a bit longer than a few hours of not feeding.

Shivering can be a sign of pain and I suspect with the dogs age this might be the problem.

A drop in temperature due to illness might be another cause.

I would take her vital signs, temperature, gum color, capillary refill and make sure all of those are normal. If they are then she may be having pain.

The smaller breeds are prone to intervertebral disc disease. IF it gets bad you may see an arch in the back as she walks, she may walk slower. she may not jump on furniture , and there may be some limping.

I will get you a link to both taking the vital signs which will take you step by step and one to IVDD.

Please hold on:)

What is Normal in dogs taking the vital signs http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Intervertebral disc disease lower spine

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Of course with older dog it can also be plain old arthritis or other age related illness causing pain

All vitals are within normal range according to the link you sent.

That's good to hear. I would think then sporadic pain may be causing it and in that case a hands on exam is best.

Aspirin can be used for pain but should only be used for a couple of days tops or stomach ulcers can develop. Give with food. Also do not give 24 hours before a Vet appt . and let the Vet know you have used aspirin and when it was last used.

Aspirin Do not use Tylenol/acetimenofen or Ibuprofen products

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin