Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I think my dog (large mixed breed female) swallowed a sock…

Customer Question
I think my dog (large...
I think my dog (large mixed breed female) swallowed a sock last night. An adult knee sock, mostly cotton. She had surgery in July for a blockage. So, now, I am very concerned that we will have to relive this nightmare. I read on another site, that I should not give her any laxative. So I am confused.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How is she acting right now?

Any vomiting?

How is her appetite?

She has a good appetite, as always. No vomiting, no unusual behavior.
Mystie has only been with us for under 2 years. She was a stray. She is a lab mix, with perhaps some Great Pyrenees in her. Tall, deep chest, fuzzy coat. When she got sick before, she began with vomiting. Our vet thought, because of her kidney numbers in blood work, that she was simply in renal failure. With meds and kidney diet, she continued to get sicker and refused to eat, drink. Eventually, she had exploratory surgery and a cat's toy mouse was discovered in her colon. It took quite a while for her incision to heal and we are certainly hoping to avoid such a trial for her as well as for us.
The above episode happened this past July.

Thanks for the information. If she has a good appetite, then chances are she did not ingest it, but it may still be too early to tell. If she did, then it most likely would still be in her stomach. You can try to induce vomiting to see if it will come out. 1 tablespoon (15 ml or 1/2 ounce) of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 15 lbs of body weight should do the trick. That can be repeated in 10 minutes once if there is no vomiting. So, if 60 lbs, give 4 tablespoons. Try trotting her around and jiggling her tummy to mix it up after given. If she vomits it up, great!! If it isn't in her vomit, then most likely she didn't ingest it. A sock that big will not move the the intestinal tract, so matter what you give. A laxative won't move it along any better. Some people may give mineral oil, but that doesn't usually work. The best thing to give to help something move through the GI tract better is increased fiber, such as Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin. But, withe something that big, her small intestinal tract will not expand any to let it pass through no matter what you do. If you do not see a sock in the vomit, and you are absolutely sure she ingested it, you can always talk to your vet about where you can take her to get endoscopy and try to retrieve it that way. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mystie. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Mystie is doing and to see if you have any other questions.