Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I'm thinking that he has an allergy to the nylon collar. But…

Customer Question
Thanks!! I'm thinking that...

Thanks!! I'm thinking that he has an allergy to the nylon collar. But we are also having some skin issues that we suspect to be allergies

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 1

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blue?

We adopted him just about 2 months ago and had some sever issues with his skin. Really raw and red underneath. We have switched him to a strictly raw food diet No nothing that I csn think of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you describe and share pictures of what you're seeing with the collar and suspect allergies?

Thank you for the additional info and picture. Is Blue ever allowed to play in water without his collar being removed? Can you show via picture where this rests on his neck? What type of collar is used (martingale? buckle?)

The first thing I would recommend doing is having him skin scraped for demodectic mange which is common in bully-type breeds. Also be aware that blue dogs are prone to skin problems so this may be a long-term issue for Blue. At home, to help with the symptoms you mentioned, I would recommend trying Zyrtec. Dosing info here based on his weight: http://www.aahneenah.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/antihistamines_dogs.pdf If this doesn't help, talk to your vet about medications like cytopoint, atopica, apoquel, etc.

I would urge you to move to a fabric covered martingale collar without any metal resting against the skin. These only tighten when they are pulled on so they are worn similar to a necklace in length and when they are pulled tight by a leash they tighten up like a choker. This leaves more room for the skin to air out so it doesn't remain red and irritated. They can also be washed and dried in the laundry and don't tend to cause contact allergies as is common in nylon collars. He's also too big for that thin of a collar. Look at a 1.5-2" collar. Anything below 1" is too thin and can harm the trachea when being walked on a leash if they pull too tight or lunge forward. Etsy has a great selection, here's an example: https://www.etsy.com/listing/512970831/martingale-dog-collar-bright-sassy-dog?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=martingale%20dog%20collar&ref=sr_gallery_3

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse