Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 55lb pitbull ate a 12Oz box of chocolate doughnuts what…

Customer Question
My 55lb pitbull ate...

My 55lb pitbull ate a 12Oz box of chocolate doughnuts what should i do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Ali and she is 1 year 4 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ali?

No she is healthy otherwise

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she get into these?

Was it just chocolate coated or are the doughnuts chocolate as well?

How is she just now?

She got into them like 15 minutes ago and she is just laying on the floor they were just chocolate donught no frosting

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that you are acting quickly here. Given the volume she has had and that its likely cocoa powder in these, we would expect to see GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) in the next 24 hours; though more severe signs (ie tremors, seizure, changes to the heart and breathing rate) are less likely here for Ali.

Still as she just have this, we have a few options. First, we can err on the side of caution and make her bring these back up before she can absorb the cocoa powder. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above or if you did just want to monitor, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if Ali has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

No health issues and not on medicines

Hi again,

That is fine, so we can use the above to get these back up or at least bind the theobromine (chocolate toxin) and then follow with those GI supports as needed.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Thank you i gave her the peroxide just waiting for her to vomit

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Good, that way we can hopefully just get this all out and avoid any issue for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

********************************************************