PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She is making a horrific sound, not coughing, her mouth is

Hello, she is making a horrific sound, not coughing, her mouth is closed, not vomit like. Her ribs flare oit. It is the third night and is getting worse each night. Only happens late evening or early night.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No no vomit like intense wheezing. When i gently palpate her throat by her upper right shoulder i think i can induce the response. I was wondering upper respitory or kennel cough?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kokua, she is my brand new "therapy" dog from the pound. The name is ***** ***** eight or assist or help
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kokua?
Customer: She is 1 yr old, chorkie, fixed and pound dog.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share video of what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Not tonight it didnt occur to me. Sorry i am visually impaired and i go by feel.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Closest to 4 but maybe 3 i am sorry slow at this. I will listen to those two again

No worries. I'll be on this evening until you and I finish our discussion. Take your time.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
More like the reverse sneezing thats how she behaves and her ribs jet out like that

Reverse sneezing is typically not considered to be medically significant. It's cause is typically a spasm in the throat and soft palate. How often is this happening?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
On e a night only at night. It could be the tracheal one which is way scarey. I did just get her and we do need a harness for her. It does seem to happen after ner night walk which right now has been collar. She is easily frightened as snall breeds are so she pulls.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
If i can induce the behavior would that lead us in the tracheal collapse direction
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It doesn't happen during the day walks though

That sounds more like tracheal collapse and this would be a coughing and not a "snorting" sound. If you can induce the behavior, can you video it and share it back?

I would move her right over to a harness just as quickly as you can. Most collapsing trachea events are minor and resolve themselves. There may be an allergy factor to cause it, so administering 1-2mg/pound of body weight of Benadryl every 8-12 hours may help greatly in reducing the instance of this happening. That said, most dogs who need medical management are going to need diagnosis from a vet with examination, chest x-rays and so forth. There are plenty of inexpensive medications on the market which can be used to reduce the frequency and severity of the coughing caused by collapsing trachea.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Fair enough but are we looking at a shorter life span. Of course money is an issue to. I was actually planning on putting her on a calming aid as she has many anxiety issues. I have researched several and it seems that Zesty paws is really good. They make a lot of the vitamin supplements that may help with tracheal collapse. She is a great little dog so sweey and gentle but it does appear she has issues from previous owner. She is a pound puppy who loves cuddles. She weighs a whopping 4.6 pounds
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
She is in sleeping with my daughter currently and they are both quiet and peaceful. If I can get her to do it I will definitely record it for the doctor tomorrow.

Not necessarily. Collapsing trachea is a common concern in dogs and for many it's not very severe. Low to moderate grade coughing long term. I wouldn't be too concerned right now if this is only happening a few times a day and during the evening. We'd certainly be much more concerned if this were constant and she had no quality of life without medical management or surgery.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
You are awesome! As soon as i find the rating i will post. Have an awesome night and I appreciate all of your help. At least I will be able to sleep tonight knowing she's OK
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Taking Kokua to the vet tomorrow but it is appearing to be more like my first response of reverse sneeze. I could not reproduce the action after that night and she had one single tiny episode last night. We got her a harness on Tues. as well, regardless that works much better. I will let you know the outcome of her appt. Thank you again it was a relief to have you there.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Oh ended up being reverse sneezing!!!! Yeah

Awesome news!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy