Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog right eye is swollen. Upper eye lid was red on

Customer Question
Hello, my dog right...

Hello, my dog right eye is swollen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Upper eye lid was red on Saturday night but I put ointment on it and it has gone down. But noticed the swollen today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Her name is ***** ***** she’s 7

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
9/26/2017
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 10 months ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

What kind of dog is Chanel?

Is it just swollen, or is the eyeball itself red?

Is she squinting at all?

Does she spend time in long grasses or running in the woods?

She’s a yorkie
Eyeball is swollen from what it seems
No long walks as she’s mostly home with my mother.
Can I send you a photo?

Does she rub at it at all?

When was the last time she had a complete physical, with blood work?

And yes...if you'd like to attach a photo, I'd be happy to look at it.

Great. Thanks for the additional information and the photo of your adorable little Yorkie. I really appreciate it.

It looks to me like there's either a bit of an infection brewing, or it's possible that at her age, she's got some glaucoma going on. The eye looks a bit grey to me, so the absolute best thing to do is to have your vet take a peek at it.

I'd give them a call tomorrow and have them do a quick exam. My guess is that they're going to want to use a tonometer to measure the pressure in that eye to make sure it's not glaucoma, and they may want to use a special stain to check for scratches on the surface of the eye.

They'll get her on some medications to help with any issue that is going on, and get that eye cleared up.

I hope this helps