Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 4 yr old pit has been diagnosed with liver failure, and

Hello. My 4 yr old...
Hello. My 4 yr old pit has been diagnosed with liver failure, and other large masses were felt in examination. His blood work was done and showed abnormally high numbers in the liver. I guess what I'm asking is,I don't want him to suffer. His belly is really large and his eyes are yellow, he barely has an appetite. When will I know it's time to put him down. This is extremely hard for me but I know he's more important. He is showing some discomfort when trying to lay down. Not whining or anything, just a little figgity. Could you offer some advice as to what to do? I'm a pretty level headed person so any advice will be taken as such. Thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: I didn't mention that he drinks a lot of water, pees frequently, and his blood work showed proteins passing in urine, which is almost orange colored. His stools at this time appear normal when I checked this morning. He's already gone through a vomiting stage, which he hasn't done in about a month. At that same time, his appetite went down to nothing but got better and now is a back to not very good. It's hard to see if he lost any more weight because of the bloating.
9/25/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. I am sorry to hear that your pit is having such serious problems. It is definitely harder when they are at a young age as well. I am assuming the masses are suspected to be cancerous, and that they have already deemed his prognosis poor even with any treatment? If so, if he still has an appetite, seems in good spirits and is comfortable most of the time; he may still have a good quality of life. If his appetite has decreased a lot or is absent, he isn't moving around much, may even be urinating and defecating on himself, not showing much interest in anything, seems very uncomfortable or is just vomiting or having diarrhea a lot; they his quality of life is bad enough that euthanasia would be his best option. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Thank you for your time.

You are welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian