Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Just trying to find best antibiotics prescribed to kill E.

Customer Question
Just trying to find...

Just trying to find best antibiotics prescribed to kill E. coli infection in a wound as he's showing sensitivity to one or the other so I'm trying to do some logical research

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No he's not bleeding it's a leg wound but I'm confused with the anti biotics that's all trying to see which are the most effective after a bad reaction to one or the other

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

He's Kaisey and he's 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Kaisey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kaisey?

Well just that we're trying everything to get the wound infection free so we can have surgery but it's a long process so I was only trying to do research

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
9/25/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you give me more information on what is going on with Kaisey?

Have you had a culture and sensitivity panel performed thus far? If so, do you have a copy to share?

What medications have been tried and what symptoms did you witness?

but I haven't a copy all I know is that he has a lot of non sensitive stuff in the leg wound including E. coli.. we've had him on cephalox which has stopped working we're now on Reflexine and Marbocyl.. but I'm having to stagger doses as he was rather sick at the weekend when we started them.. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can in order to try to find something that will kill this in order that we can have surgery to close the wound, as every attempt to close keeps breaking down on account of the infection..he's a black Labrador a rescue and he deserves to be able to do Labrador 'stuff' I'm determined to find a solution to how this will heal so any help, ideas, tryouts, would be so welcome please

Sick meaning vomiting? diarrhea?

In order to best assist you, having a copy of the culture and sensitivity results will give me the most information about what antibiotics could be tried and which should be avoided. Can you have your clinic email you a copy?

Can you share a few pictures of the wound, as well?

I'm not sure about pictures of the wound as it has a very intricate dressing on it held on with sutures and loops which they only remove to change... I'll try to get the cultures detail today for you apologies for delayed response we have very staggered work hours between myself and my husband, so I can only check my email at certain times.. Thank you for your help

No worries. I am on periodically throughout the day in patches and usually work late. I'll respond when I'm next on and you've replied. There's no time limit so get back to me when you can and I'll do the same!

If you can have them take a photo of the wound, I may be able to assist further, as well, as I've dealt with a great number of very major wound therapy cases which had to be healed through secondary intention. It sounds like this is the case for Kaisey and I may be able to offer some tips.

Thank you I'll try to supply all of this. I see you've deducted the fees from my account can you confirm there is nothing else required in terms of payment as yet as my account details are still logged with you, and I worry about having my details randomly detailed... very many thanks. *** ***

Hi, Carole. I'll need to contact customer service for you. Experts work directly with customers and do not have access to any billing into. This will lock our thread on my end until they've responded to your inquiry, so if you send messages I may not reply in a prompt manner (at least until the thread is unlocked).

.