Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She has a collapsed trachea and has been coughing for two…

She has a collapsed...

She has a collapsed trachea and has been coughing for two days now. Her medicine isn't working. What else can I try?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Pearl

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is ten years old and this started about a year ago.

9/25/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has Pearl been boarded, groomed or at any facility such as a dog park in the last 21 days where she was around other dogs?

No

What medications are currently being given?

Can you share a video of what you're seeing?

Theophylline is what she was taking. It helped. But now they say they can't get it so a compounding pharmacy made her up something like it. It doesn't seem to help.
I am at work and can't get a video for you.

If this medication is not currently working, I would talk to your vet about other medications to help with relaxation of the muscles and cough suppression. Many dogs with collapsing trachea do quite well with steroids, bronchodilators (like the theophylline), sedatives, etc. If the new medication is not working alone, she may need more than one or a switch of medications. I would consider talking to your vet about keeping hydrocodone on hand for her worst of days if she's receiving some benefit from the new medication but it's not aiding her full time. Your vet may want to try a short course of steroids at this time to help bring down inflammation caused by the last 2 days of coughing. If she is, by chance, an obese dog weight loss may also help.

More info:
1) http://smallanimal.vethospital.ufl.edu/clinical-services/surgery/soft-tissue-surgery/tracheal-collapse/
2) http://www.animalmedcenter.com/faqs/category/tracheal-collapse-in-dogs
3) https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/tracheal-collapse

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you!

Sure thing.