PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

10 year old springer vomiting undigested food. Very

10 year old springer vomiting undigested food. Very lethargic and some groaning.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Winston has significant allergies which require prescription diet food. We are using vet recommended Hill's as well as Hill"s hypo treats. Only other food source is potato. The major recent change is shots and prednisone tablets related to skin allergies. I am wondering from my research if we could be dealing with pancreatitis due to heavy introduction of steroids.

It's very possible. The groaning is a strong indicator that he's experiencing pain, which is very common with pancreatitis. Truly, the only way to be 100% sure if this is happening will be to schedule an examination and bloodwork with your vet to have his pancreatic enzyme levels checked. In the meanwhile, you can give medication for the vomiting. You can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications).

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you. Right now he will neither eat nor drink. He is very lethargic. He has not vomited in over 8 hours but is not ingesting anything either.
He also was on a series of required shots for boarding with his first shot for canine flu. The first shot was administered over 2 weeks ago. Any possibility of symptoms associated with this shot or interaction with the steroids for his allerageis?
We now have an appointment with our vet at 3pm. Any other suggesstions in preparation for our visit?

It seems unlikely since it was given so long ago. Reactions are usually witnessed within the first 24-48 hours. It will not hurt to give the Pepcid. He is likely battling nausea right now, which is why he won't ingest anything. Once addressed, he may eat and drink well. If not, your vet will certainly want to run bloodwork. The Pepcid won't stop them from doing so at the visit.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you for your advice. This is my first time to use the service. I gave a 4 star rating only because I anticipated a bit quicker response by rating medium urgency and response. Probably not your issue but the site manager may need to be a bit more specific since the site states that many answers come within 10 minutes but guaranteed within a day. We were up most of the night with concern and trying to determine our next steps. Your advice was good but came after we had already made our vet appointment.