How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel Peck Your Own Question
Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck,
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 306
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Meadow Hill's
98574077
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Samuel Peck is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our Labrador retriever 8 months and 60 plus pounds ate 1

This answer was rated:

Our Labrador retriever 8 months and 60 plus pounds ate 1 piece of tomkat mouse killer. It was in the last few hours. We just began inducing vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. We have seen 1/2 of the piece come out. Should we continue to induce vomiting? Should we get activated charcoal? Should I be giving him vitamin k? Will he be okay or do we need to go to a vet asap?

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

Can you confirm with me the active ingredient listed on the product label?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Bromethalin

Ok. Just wanted to make sure, that is what I was finding for this rodent bait as well.

Did you successfully induce vomiting? Did the piece of rodent bait come up?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I did induce vomiting and a large piece about a quarter of it came up. And I could see chewed up pieces in his vomit.

Good. Do you have access to activated charcoal at this time? Vitamin K is not necessary for this rodenticide, it works in a different way.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No. I do not have any at home but I can go to a store to get some.

Bromethalin is not an anticoagulant rodenticide as many are - it doesn't cause clotting issues from inhibiting vitamin K depending clotting factors - so vitamin K supplementation is not beneficial. There is no antidote for this toxin.

Bromethalin is a neurotoxin that causes cerebral edema (swelling in the brain) and neurologic signs. Treatment is aimed at decontamination by inducing vomiting and preventing absorption by repeated doses of activated charcoal for 2-4 days. Best recommendation is for close monitoring for neurologic signs and treating symptomatically in a hospital setting. Signs can be delayed and are dose dependent.

Minimum oral toxic dose in dogs is listed as 2.5mg/kg in my toxicology reference. Let me do some calculations based on a 60lb dog...

I'm finding 2.84mg of bromethalin per ounce cube for this bait.

60lbs = 27.27kg

2.84mg / 27.27kg = 0.1mg/kg

According to my reference at least 2.5mg/kg oral dose is necessary typically for toxicity to occur. I've found another source citing doses below 1.5mg/kg as not being associated with clinical signs. While yet another reports deaths at doses as low as 0.95mg/kg. All of these sources are stating much higher doses than the calculated 0.1mg/kg for your pup. I think your chances for no clinical signs are very good. If able, you should confirm on the packaging that the cube ingested was 1 ounce and 2.84mg is present per ounce / cube to confirm this dosage ingested.

With any ingestion of this toxin, I'd suggest administering activated charcoal at 1-4 g/kg every 8 hours for at least 2 days to be safe. Thats 30 to 120g by mouth every 8 hours (three times daily) for 2-4 days. Monitoring very closely is indicated in these situations and urgent veterinary assessment should be pursued should any clinical signs arise (weakness, balance issues, hindlimb paralysis, depression).

On the aggressive side, emergency assessment could be pursued although clinical signs with this toxicity are often delayed. Activated charcoal could be administered in clinic with close monitoring by the veterinarian and their support staff for any neurologic changes. If derangements are noted, treatment can then be instituted immediately.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
The box says .01% of the active ingredient. Is that less than what you found

That is the same as what I'm finding - 0.01% active ingedient, which comes out to 2.84mg bromethalin per ounce of bait, with each "cube" being 1 oz.

Samuel Peck and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thank you so much.

You're very welcome. Thanks for rating!

Hi Cortney,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cortney Pena. How is everything going?
Samuel Peck
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Everything is great. Licorice is doing great. Thank you!
Glad to hear! Thanks for update!