Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My Dachshund has diarrhea real bad what can I give her to…

Customer Question
My Dachshund has diarrhea...

My Dachshund has diarrhea real bad what can I give her to help her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

Will cheese help..

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She doesn't just pooping liquid crap all day

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Nothing just her food

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Raven 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Raven is her name

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Raven?

She is a healthy girl up to date on her shots.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
9/25/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Raven has diarrhoea, hopefully this is not so serious, but of course this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay. But that said that there are a number of home remedies for intestinal upset in the dog which some owners try while waiting for their vet's appointment. These can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. { Cheese could make things worse by the way } Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water and is drinking.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, two teaspoon twice a day is fine for a Dachshund.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Raven's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you so much for the info!
Please she hasn't really eaten her regular dog food today, so I will give her the bland diet Dr...thank you again��
Holly Herrmann

No problem Holly, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go, for now starting on the bland diet should be OK.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Raven is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her diarrhoea ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott