Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 15 moths old Galgo (Spanish greyhound) all of a sudden

My 15 moths old Galgo (Spanish greyhound) all of a sudden got some sort of blisters on his belly. The blisters are dry and when I try to remove the m they leave a round scar. I'm on holiday in Italy the region of Lombardy. I have changed the food ,he now eats a cooked chicken a day, plus his dry food. He's been a lot in the lake and river water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: The blisters are first red then get dry and then leave a scar. He's name is ***** ***** 15 moths old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Django?
Customer: He's been running in the woods a lot too! He once had an eye infection a couple of moths ago

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Django. You appear to be describing a superficial spreading pyoderma characterized by epidermal collarettes which usually indicate a pyoderma - bacterial skin infection often caused by Staph. The collarettes begin as pustules and then spread outward in a roughly circular manner. The center quiets down and often hyperpigments (darkens) but the rim can remain actively inflamed and infected. Collarettes can also be seen with fungal infections and autoimmune skin diseases. Treatment consists of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing twice weekly in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution of the infection. I don't know the availability of either the shampoo or antibiotic where you currently are. You may need to find a vet to prescribe them.

Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Taking a picture

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Thank you. Yes, this is a minor pyoderma that might be addressed with only an antibacterial shampoo such as I mentioned above. I suspect that his skin has stayed wet too long after his adventures in rivers and lakes. It's not contagious to you or other animals. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
There you can see the scars

Yes, those are epidermal collarettes as I described above.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thanks for your advice.
Kind regards Angie

You're welcome, Angie. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.