Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I noticed tapeworms in his poop today. Goku 1 year. Goku.

Customer Question
I noticed tapeworms in...

I noticed tapeworms in his poop today

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Goku 1 year

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Goku

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Goku?

When I first got him he had fleas

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
9/24/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this....your dog is infected with the tapeworm diplyidium caninum ......this is the tapeworm that is carried in the midgut of the flea and dogs become infected when they bite on the fleas that are on them. If you keep them flea free they will not get reinfected. But you will need to get your dog treated in order to get rid of this infection.

The best product to treat this is drontal plus and your veterinarian can prescribe this for your dog....

He does not have fleas. Took care of them when he was puppy
I thought you were getting me tapeworm medicine

I understand that...but when he had the fleas he got infected with tapeworms at that time....

and 6 weeks after he first had fleas he became infected with tapeworms and has had them since.....

this is not a NEW infection....

It is first time I have seen them

this happened when he had fleas......but to be fair it only takes one flea to cause tapeworm infection.....

so small possibility he got them recently.....

some people never see the tapeworm segments.....does not mean your dog is not infected...

now I need to get rid of them. I have two other dogs too. They never had fleas. I had him treated before he came home

Unfortunatley dogs can pass tapeworms to each other if they consume each others feces or ingest the infective segments...

He was at a kennel for 4 days a month ago. Just him not other dogs

I would recommend that you treat all three dogs to be on the safe side.....

Goku will eat poop. And everything else he can find

Drontal plus best dewormer hands down and will kill tapeworms, roundworms, hookworms and whipworms....

call your vet and ask for that.......

I thought you were prescribing.

I also prefer Iverhart max for heartworm prevention......it helps prevent other parasites as well...

I know what to get them but I thought you were a vet

We cannot prescribe from this site......no prescribing can ever be done without a valid client patient relationship and an exam of your pet.....this site is for general advice only...

I am a veterinarian......

Well then I don't need this service. Thank you

Sorry you are not happy with the service...but the site clearly states this is for general advice only...what you are requesting is illegal.....

Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 10 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

I'm sorry Dr. B just suggested calling your vet. While the prescription drugs are best, ***** ***** over the counter medications that will work to help get rid of tapeworms. Over the counter wormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Like any over the counter dewormer, I recommend deworming a second time about 2 weeks later to help kill all the tapeworms in your dog's system. Here is one product that is effective against tapeworms and one that I do use.

https://www.chewy.com/bayer-tapeworm-dog-de-wormer-5-count/dp/139679

You can find these dewormers on auctions sites as well at a lower price and I've even seen drontol plus on the most popular auction site just today.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.