Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 11 yr old, female, Scottish Terrier, has never been sick.

Customer Question
My 11 yr old...

My 11 yr old, female, Scottish Terrier , has never been sick. Acts like a puppy/ very playful and energetic,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

I came home from work and she was dead.., just laid on the couch and died sometime during the day .. nothing was wrong

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Annie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Annie?

No history at all and just had her annual check up last month ,, the vet always commented how young she acted Inside dog

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/23/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 11 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that..

Since you do not seem to feel there was any symptoms prior to that day, then it would be considered a sudden death. There are usually only a couple of reasons for sudden death in a dog. Usually it is the result of bloat or a heart condition.

With bloat, the stomach usually appears bloated. Bloat (Gastric Dilatation) may or may not involve stomach torsion (twisted stomach). Common symptoms are attempts to vomit (usually unsuccessful) and may continue to try to vomit, dog just doesn't seem like themselves, a hunched up posture, anxiety and restlessness, a distended stomach that is tight like a drum, gums may be dark red in early stages and white or blue in later stages. These are the most common symptoms and the list goes on Since he seemed to have passed rather peacefully, I wouldn't think bloat would be the cause. You can read more on bloat here.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

Cardiomyopathy is rather common in Annie's breed. That can certainly lead to sudden death. Read more on it here:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/cardiovascular/c_dg_cardiomyopathy_dilated

However, seizure activity could also be a factor. If a dog experiences multiple seizures close together, then death might also result. Losing a pet is so hard when the exact cause is unknown. At this point, any possibilities as to the cause would just be guesses. The only way to know for sure would be to have a necropsy (autopsy) performed by your vet. Sometimes a necropsy helps us find closure when death occurs in a relatively young animal. In older dogs, many owners just assume the heart is the cause especially in breeds where heart conditions are prevalent.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 10 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.