Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

She is an 8 year old newf that has thrown up about 5 times.

Yellow fo***** *****quid with small...
She is an 8 year old newf that has thrown up about 5 times. Yellow fo***** *****quid with small bits of food. She did drink some water and that came right up as well She continues to pant but is now laying down which is a change. She could not or would not sit down. She just wanted to go out and eat grass.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: I don't think so.
9/23/2017
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Does she eat any non food items such as bones, paper, rawhides, bully sticks etc?

Did she eat any human food lately, if so what?

Could she have gotten into trash or a toxin?

Is she showing interest in eating?

When did she last eat?

Is there any diarrhea?

We had put a little bit of turkey in her food this morning to entice her to eat, but she turned her nose up at it. No rawhide, bully sticks, etc. No diarrhea. She is drinking water.

Thank you for that information.

If she does not eat non food items then a concern for a blockage can be ruled out.

At this point, I would suspect a possible virus and for this it is best to fast the pup for 24 hours then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice.

I would also try giving him a Pepcid AC since he is bringing up bile. That may also help settle the stomach. Here is a link on dosing this http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Newfs are my favorite breed. Going on number 7:)

All she wants to do is go outside and eat grass. Should we let her?

Dogs do this to make themselves vomit. I would not let her do this because if she swallows it and it does not come up in vomit then it can become a blockage in the intestines. I think once you give the pepcid she will feel better.

Of course over the 24 hour fasting, she can have water and if she is vomiting this then try giving ice cubes so she stays hydrated.

Take her vital signs so you know if it is turning south and you need a hands on exam sooner rather than later.

What is Normal in dogs taking the vital signs http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I am sorry for some reason the link for vital signs is not going through above, Let me try again

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant