Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

One week ago the vet gave my dog a basic dewormer for

roundworms when he got his...
One week ago the vet gave my dog a basic dewormer for roundworms when he got his 2nd vaccination. It's been seven days and it's obviously that my dog has tapeworms. Can I give him the dewormer for tapeworms today or do I have to wait another week? The dog is 5lbs, chiweenie male and 11 weeks old. I don't want to overdose the dog with dewormer but it's obvious the last dewormer did nothing for him. The tapeworm segments are alive and wiggling out of his butt.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is Rio
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rio?
Customer: Not that I know of. The adoption facility only told me that they dewormed him once and that was at 10 weeks.
9/23/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What wormer did they use?

The first dewormer at the adoption place was a 3 in 1 dewormer. The other vet used a basic dewormer for roundworms
I believe it was pyrantel the first time. But that doesn't kill tapeworms which is what he has. I want to order the Praziquantel which should kill only tapeworms and give him that this weekend.

Hello again,

Now I had been keen to know which brand but if it was likely Pyrantel, then you can use a Praziquantel based wormer now for the tapeworms (often we use combination wormers to target both) now to clear those for Rio. So, you are find to go ahead and use that now.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just really worried, can you advise if this is the best dewormer for tapeworms. The one I want to purchase is Bayer Tapeworm DEwormer for small dogs on Amazon. Com
I saw that petshed had droncit which seems the same thing. Any advice in which is better for puppies will help

Hello again,

No worries there. Bayer is a good company for wormers (and are who make Droncit), so I'd have no qualms with you using that. Since they did already worm for round worms, we are fine to just treat for the tapeworms. Though when Rio is next due (we usually worm every 3 months until 6 months of age), a combination product for both would be ideal and for that we can use Drontal.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Ok that's really helpful. So I can definitely give him the tapeworm dewormer as soon as possible and then in one week later follow up with a drontal tablet. He'll be 12 weeks by then so he'll be right on schedule.
Is it true I need to deworm him again at 14 & 16 weeks?And in regards ***** ***** worms, I have two cars at home. While the dog is shedding worms I feel it's good to also get them a dewormer just in case. We are a flea free home but I feel safer also deworming in them. Will drontal for cats also work in this situation. One cat is female 2 years and the other is male 10 years old and both are around 12 lbs. They're big cats.

Hello again,

Yes, we can use the tapeworm treatment now as it is compatible with the one he had for roundworms. Just since we are giving that one now, I'd wait 2 weeks before following up with the Drontal just to avoid any GI upset risk. And I do need to correct myself, its monthly til 6 months then every 3 months afterwards (I was thinking backwards for a moment there). But there is no need to do it as often as you noted there. Anyway, I would also worm the cats at this point but as they are adults every 3 months as needed. And we can use Drontal for them but we tend to use the kitty specific one for them just as it is more straightforward for dosing.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Ok that makes sense.
I'll paraphrase to make sure I understand: yes I can administer the specific tapeworm dewormer tonight for the puppy. Then two weeks from now administer the broad spectrum drontal.
Also purchase drontal specifically for cats and give them their dewormer every 3-6 months. I usually deworm the cats once a year at their annual check up, is that not enough?
What should I expect after giving him the dewormer tonight? Should I expect to see both living and dead worms? He was pretty lethargic after his puppy pack 2 immunization and roundworm dewormer. Will he be just as woozy with this tapeworm dewormer?
Since he's spreading worms, he's crated during the night and secluded to the front of the house during the day.
When should I expect to see the worms clear his system fully?

Yes, he can have the tapeworm dewormer tonight with Drontal in 2 weeks.

As to what you will see, usually we only see worms passed for 24-48 hours if they have quite a large worm load in the gut. So, its not uncommon to not see any but no worries if we see some in that 2 day period (as the wormer is making them let go of the intestine). Some pups can also have a bit of upset stomach but usually aren't lethargic nor woozy as they can be post-vaccine. For the cats, we prefer them wormed a bit more often but if they were totally indoors/low risk then we could leave to annual treatment but otherwise at least once every 6 months.

All the best,

Dr. B.

I think his infestation of worms is probably very large, it's unfortunate that the adoption location did not disclose this information. So it was a really unwanted surprise when I got home and found worms in his poops.
I also read that one teaspoon of Apple cider vinegar can help with his stomach pH levels, making a puppies insides less hospitable to worms. Is there any truth to that?Would it be best to put him in his play pen for the next 24-48 hrs [during the day] while he passes all the worms? . I feel bad crating him every night and I didn't expect that to be mandatory right from the start. I fear that he will see his crate as a negative situation because of this.
Tha k you so much for your help. I've had dogs before but I've never dealt with such a bad cause of worms in such a small animal before. I was actively worried about over worming him.
Oh in your rely, after giving him the tapeworm dewormer, will the worms coming out be alive or dead?

You are very welcome, my dear.

Yes, it is so very common and often the original infection source is mum. Anyway, that is why we tend to treat pups more often then adult animals, just to clear that initial load of worms. And in regards ***** ***** ACV, there is no harm using it but there have been no real studies to suggest it works. Especially as these worms live in the intestines and the vinegar would be digested in the stomach before even reaching them. So, it can be used but its not likely to do much for parasite concerns.

Otherwise, the worms usually are dead but we can see some still wiggling (the wormers make them release and paralyse them, hence why they pass out in stool but it can take time to fully kill them especially if there are a lot present). So, we could restrict him to an easy to clean area for the next 48 hours so you can just limit spread in the house. And I don't suspect he will have much of a negative impact from the crating since crate training in puppyhood is commonly done and can give them a "personal space" to use as needed.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Thank you so much. Really, I was so disgusted and concerned. He's a sweet puppy but I got a bit more than I bargained for, lol. little tyke needs a bit more TLC.I heard more fibrous foods can help stimulate the intestines and help with clean out, would that be better for him? They put him on natural balance all life stages dog food. I've never used that brand before. I usually feed my animals hills science diet, nutro or royal canine. Since he's a bit underweight because of the worms, is there anything I can do to help him developmentally?I'm not sure how to save all this advise? Does this system send me an email transcript? Or do I request that?

You are very welcome,

Fiber is great for keeping them regular and firming loose stools but doesnt' tend to be enough to push worms out. So, I'd not advise a diet change unless he was loose with this. And I'd say that if we worm him and get those critters out, then we should see some weight gain. Of course, there are supplement pastes (ie GNC, Nutrical) or high calorie diets (ie Hills AD, Royal Canin Recovery diet) that we could use alongside his food if we do need to give him a bit of help getting that weight back on. But again usually they are fine once we get those parasites out.

Finally, with regard to the system, I don't think it does but you can bookmark this page and the chat dialogue will be here. Else you can copy/paste our text into a word document to save.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian