Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Her stomach is swollen has been since she got out of heat…

Customer Question
Her stomach is swollen...

Her stomach is swollen has been since she got out of heat and shes going to the bathroom more then normal and at one point she wasnt pooping but noe she is three plus times a day. And i cant afford a vet righr now

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Ninja

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ninja?

Shes a female pit bull

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
9/23/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 9 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Is there any way she could have become pregnant?

How old is Ninja?

Any loss of appetite?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Hi again,

I was hoping for some responses but I don't want you to go without an answer.

If there is any way she might have mated then you might be dealing with a pregnancy. Pregnancy generally lasts about 63 days from the mating and dogs frequently during the last week or two urinate often and have frequent bowel movements since most pregnant dogs have worms and of course, their abdomen becomes enlarged from the pups. If this is a possibility, let me know and I'll give you some more information on the subject.

Dogs can also have false pregnancies where they gain weight, develop breasts and even display other symptoms of pregnancy so that is also a possiblity but usually a dog continues to eat well and elimination is frequently normal rather than more often.

Another possibility would be pyometra. Pyometra generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/pyometra-in-dogs/915

With closed pyometra, an owner can think it is a possible pregnancy since there is abdominal swelling and some of the same symptoms. Often they will have a loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea. This would be considered an emergency. Since funds are an issue, let me give you some sites that might help financially.

Veterinary Bill Assistance Programs:
1. The Big Hearts Fund: http://bigheartsfund.org/
2. Cats in Crisis: http://www.catsincrisis.org/
3. Diabetic Cats In Need: http://fdmb-cin.blogspot.com/
4. The Dog And Cat Cancer Fund: http://www.dccfund.org/
5. Frankie's Friends: http://www.frankiesfriends.com/
6. Handicapped Pets Foundation: http://hpets.org/
9. The Mosby Foundation: http://themosbyfoundation.org/
10. The Onyx and Breezy Foundation: http://www.onyxandbreezy.org/
11. Paws 4 A Cure: http://www.paws4acure.org/
12. The Pet Fund: http://thepetfund.com/
13. Pets-DC: http://www.petsdc.org/
14. Shakespeare Animal Fund: http://www.shakespeareanimalfund.org/

This site may have additional resources as well.

http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html

http://maddiesinstitute.typepad.com/chewonthis/2014/12/helping-people-find-money-to-pay-for-veterinary-care.html

These vets may offer a free initial visit though you may have to pay for extra procedures and medications. See the next one for the coupons.

https://vcahospitals.com/find-a-hospital

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer

I wished I could give you a more definite answer, but it s rather difficult without being able to physically examine the dog. Hopefully you can get a free first visit and at least have a physical exam done. Remember that you do not have to incur any other charges or have additional testing done if you are unable to afford it

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 8 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?