Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 5 pound toy poodle ate my .25 Xanax. Will she be ok? Lucy

My 5 pound toy poodle...
My 5 pound toy poodle ate my .25 Xanax. Will she be ok?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy she is 4 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: No
9/23/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Lucy. How long ago did she get this 0.25 mg of Xanax? Are you sure it was just a single one?

15 minutes ago. Yes it was only 1
Will she be ok?

Alright. This shouldn't be a bad situation. Alprazolam (Xanax) is used in veterinary medicine for anxiety issues. In the drug formulary, a dose of 0.02 to 0.1 mg / kg is listed. A 5 pound dog is about 2.2 kgs. So the higher end dose of 0.1 mg / kg would be a dose of 0.22 mg. For her to eat just one 0.25 mg tablet, it shouldn't cause any issues but maybe make her a little more tired. There is no need to worry about specific problems from this.

Thank you.

Absolutely no problem. Let her rest and tell her to stay out of trouble!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian