Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog licked up some gain dust laundry detergent. Like the…

Customer Question
My dog licked up...

My dog licked up some gain dust laundry detergent. Like the little grains. I don't know how much she had but her breath smelt like it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

She hasn't thrown up or anything yet but her mouth was watering quite a bit. She's sleeping now but I'm unsure if it's from the detergent or because we just got back from the dog park. Her name is ***** ***** she is 6 months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nova?

She isn't eating anything.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
9/23/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your girl Nova licked some Gain laundry detergent dust and was drooling and now isn't eating.

I am pleased to hear she seems comfortable enough to sleep, but a little concerned she doesn't want to eat.

These products use detergents and surfactants as cleaning bases. All surfactants and detergents are gastrointestinal irritants and can lead to drooling, vomiting and diarrhea with a loss of appetite. We do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases of possible ingestion as that only leads to further irritation of the esophagus. Of course you didn't induce vomiting, I suspect that the irritation she felt from concentrated detergent led her to water excessively. The good news is that perhaps that got rid of any of the remaining irritating product.

If she continues to drool I would start with flushing out her mouth with cool water to remove any residual product, make sure to flush her mouth sideways so she isn't swallowing any residual.

Then you just need to watch her for any further symptoms.

To be safe since she did drool and isn't eating we can do some things at home to ease her stomach and gastrointestinal irritation.

To try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These should be used for several days as necessary as they are quite safe and will help with healing.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber if she has any mucousy diarrhea. Feed small meals several times a day.

Once she's feeling better, or in a couple days if she seems to remain well now, then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.

If she vomits even after the acid reducing medication is given, continues to refuse to eat or has explosive diarrhea it is best she see a veterinarian for an examination, injectable medications and oral medication like sucralfate to coat her gastrointestinal system.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian