Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

She ate 3 deramaxx pills yesterday. Just found out this

morning. She’s about 45lbs JA: I'm...
She ate 3 deramaxx pills yesterday. Just found out this morning. She’s about 45lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harper. She is 2 years old. Pit mix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harper?
Customer: She seems to be acting perfectly normal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What milligram size Deramaxx pills?

Does she have any other pre-existing medical problems?

75mg. She has 0 health issues
This was about 15 hours ago

Thanks for the information. Chances are she will be fine. There is not a lot of data available for overdoses, but in a study, dogs that ingested 10 mg/kg had no clinically observable symptoms. She ingested just over that amount. Dogs that ingested up to 10 times that amount for 10 days didn't have any liver or kidney damage, but they has vomiting with blood. It should be safe to just monitor her. I would probably start 10 mg of Prilosec once daily for 10 days to be on the safe side. It is a very safe medication. If you notice any vomiting, blood in the vomit or stool, lack of appetite or abdominal discomfort/pain; I would have her checked out by your vet ASAP. The problem with things that cause liver and kidney damage is that it may take a few days to see symptoms. I don't anticipate any problems, but it would be a good idea for your vet to check some blood work early next week if she remains fine. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Thanks. My vet set have her blood checked next week. I will keep an eye On her

You are very welcome. Chances are she will be just fine. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian