Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She's had a bout of diarrhea and she's just started

She's had a long...

She's had a long bout of diarrhea and she's just started antibiotics and probioticsz now she's panting heavily and hiding under the bed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Kirra she's 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kirra?

She has a heart murmur

9/22/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?

She is about the same. The panting stopped after I gave her a bath. But her diarrhea is still the same.

Did the diarrhea begin before or after the antibiotics?

Before. I took her to the vet Wednesday night because it was getting worse.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed such as milk, bacon, etc.? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Did your vet perform a fecal analysis to rule out the presence of intestinal parasites?

Are you seeing improvements with the medications thus far?

The vet didn’t perform any tests. ����‍♀️ I haven’t changed her food or treats she’s very picky about that but she does have a habit of eating stuff outside, I’ve caught her many times. I don’t know if she got a hold of anything. The diarrhea is not as frequent as it was, she slept through the night so I guess that is some improvement. The living situation is stressful for me (problems with upstairs neighbor) but I don’t know if that would affect her.

If the diarrhea persists in spite of the antibiotics, I would certainly have diagnostics like a fecal analysis performed to be sure there are no parasites. Eating things that should not be eaten can most certainly cause diarrhea.

I can give you directions on a bland, high-fiber diet that can be used to help not only resolve the diarrhea but can also help move things through the GI tract that may have been consumed. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

If you see any worsening of symptoms such as bloody stool, etc. you'll want to have your companion rechecked.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you very much for the advice. I have been feeding her boiled chicken breast and rice but did know the rice should be cooked until it’s mushy. I will do that. I really appreciate the advice and I will let you know how she progresses.