Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 7 year old bulldog had a cystotomy Monday afternoon and

My 7 year old bulldog had a cystotomy Monday afternoon and has been able to pas urine but seems to strain a bit at the end of his stream. He is eating and drinking normally and seems to be in good spirits. I just want to make sure that what seems like a little bit of straining and urgency to go in normal post op.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: My 7 year old bulldog had a cystotomy Monday afternoon and has been able to pas urine but seems to strain a bit at the end of his stream. He is eating and drinking normally and seems to be in good spirits. I just want to make sure that what seems like a little bit of straining and urgency to go in normal post op.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't seem to be in pain. But he does seem uncomfortable when he urinates.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mack
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mack?
Customer: He originally had stones in his bladder and urethra. The stones were pushed back from the urethra into the bladder. Then removed from there.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Mack. Is he on any medications at this time? Is the urine that is coming out normal color? Does he have a good flow when the urine stream starts?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
He is currently on clavomox for an antibiotic and tramadol for pain. His urine was very dark the first couple of days after the surgery but today it is just about back to normal. He has good flow when he first starts to urinate however he will continue to squat and hunch his back as if he is struggling to go after the urine has stopped.

Those medications are very good for a post operative cystotomy situation. It is good that the beginning of the stream is good. Could there be some irritation from the sutures in the bladder and that is causing a little irritation and straining? Hopefully there are no residual stones as an issue. At my ER, I take x-rays post-operatively to make sure none are left. As long as he's eating well, having the good stream and seeming comfortable for the most part - it may be something that just a little more time is needed to get back to normal.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
It could be irritated. He lays on his belly which obviously then rubs the incision. Thanks for your help. His follow up is next weekend, but I was just looking for an answer prior to that to ensure we are on the right track

Hopefully everything will quiet back down with the bladder and he'll be back to urinating normally. Make sure he's not licking his incision and aggravating that. As long as he's getting good streams out and eating / drinking well, it wouldn't be overly worrisome at this time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?