Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Ellie had several pieces of cooked bacon last night. She…

Customer Question
Ellie had several pieces...

Ellie had several pieces of cooked bacon last night. She vomited to large piles in the middle of the night. She did not have anything to until 4 this afternoon. Small amt. of white rice and boiled chicken. She's been running to the door all evening and running out to the woods. I thought maybe she had diarrhea. But I think she was trying to vomit which she finally did. Just rice with chicken. Should I be concerned? She is an 18 month old German Shepherd .

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Just chicken and rice today.very small amt. Cooked back (off the counterūüėą) last night

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

70lbs. Female German Shepherd

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog
9/22/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Denise, Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns and formulate my response.

I'm sorry to hear that Ellie isn't feeling well from her stolen bacon!!

It sounds like she is experiencing some intense GI upset and you've caught onto her symptoms very early.

The fat content in bacon can cause gastritis/colitis, but this can also progress to pancreatitis.

At home you can treat her symptomatically for the acid accumulation and settle her stomach with:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous and soothe their stomach lining. They are quite safe and can be given for several days if necessary. I'd give one for at least 3-4 days.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting.

If there is no vomiting for 24 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into her.

Then once the diarrhea resolves start mixing back in her regular diet slowly and convert her back over 3-4 days.

If she is not interesting in eating for 24hrs, starts vomiting, having diarrhea, persistent lethargy, or painful abdomen, I would encourage you to take Ellie to see her veterinarian for a full hands-on exam and diagnostics to determine if she has developed pancreatitis or if needs more intensive treatment for her GI symptoms.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!