Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My god had an open wound on the outside of his ear. It has…

Customer Question
My god had an open...
My god had an open wound on the outside of his ear. It has since scabbed over and scarred. The scar is black and soft. Will hair grow back?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/22/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Possibly. Hair regrowth is predicated upon how deep the wound was. If it destroyed the hair follicle epithelium - the area from where hair follicles arise - you won't see the hairs return from where they once were. In general, no new hair follicles are formed after birth. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I also attached a picture for reference

The pic is out of focus and difficult to assess properly but if you're seeing black (hyperpigmented) and soft scar, it has already healed as much as it can. The only manner in which to remove such a defect is to surgically remove it and then suture normal skin back together. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?