Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She want eat or take water. Baybay she was born7/2009, My…

Customer Question
.she want eat or...

.she want eat or take water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bay's name and age?

Baybay she was born7/2009

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bay's name?

My doy name is ***** ***** bay

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baybay?

How can I talk to the vet when they ask for $20: I just told the dr. About her 5 minutes ago before being ask for $20.

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog
I took baybay to the vet 9/11/17 they gave her an IV and a shot for vomiting. T thought it was constipation again a few years back.she is spayed.she is a Chihuahua 7 lb but has lost weight. She was feeling better but Tuesday she has eaten very little.today can't keep water down an want eat.very weak just lays there but sometimes my adult son comes in she look up or walk very shaky over to him.she has spit up yellow stuff an eat plastic bags.but now just lays there un active.looks sad and I thinks she in pain.sometimes when she trys to get uo and dose she walks like she drunk. I have this guy coming friday I am hoping he will buy mu 5th wheel so I can take her to the vet on Saturday if she last that long. I will never get another pet it just hurt to back.a) I can do is try to get her to take something an keep her comfy.I am just so lost now.crying.
Sorry she isn't spayed at all she stays inside no other dog never had pups.
Ps I don't really have the heart to put her down.just went to check om her still want take nothing. I have water right next to her.
9/21/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 12 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Baybay doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy