Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My lab is about 11 years old and weighs 70 lbs ate 3

Customer Question
My lab is about...

My lab is about 11 years old and weighs 70 lbs ate 3 ibuprofen 4 days ago and is having diarrhea. I had no idea it was toxic to dogs. Can I stop her food and try to rehydrate her and only do chicken broth and rice for awhile? Will she ever recover?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?

Ibuprofen

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No mam

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog
9/21/2017
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 12 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. The dog will need to see the Vet for supportive care. The Ibuprofen can not only cause Diarrhea, but beyond that affects the Kidneys and liver. It is a Nasiad which can cause internal bleeding in the GI tract. The Vet will need to start some medication to help coat the intestinal tract and start fluids to help clear the kidneys. http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/poisoning-toxicity/c_dg_ibuprofen_advil_poisoning_in_dogs

I suggest start the dog on some Pepcid AC 10 mgs tonight and every 12 hours. The Ibuprofen can cause gastric ulcerations and tis may lower the bile until the dog can be seen.

I urge you to have the dog into the Vet asap.

Joan