Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog was born with a Patellar Luxation in her right knee…

Customer Question
My dog was born with...
My dog was born with a Patellar Luxation in her right knee she had surgery to correct it about two years ago but is now having trouble again. I am wondering if there is anything I can do or are we headed for surgery again? She is a very high energy dog and this sometimes keeps her from running and playing like she normally does. She also sits funny. She kinda sits to the side a little.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
9/20/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Katie is having issues again. I'm assuming that she is having issues with the same leg that had surgery? Is she on any medications at this time? Has your vet rechecked her recently?

the vet saw her two weeks ago and said that we might be looking at surgery again. Surgery is just soooo expensive and I am not in a spot right now where I can afford it. It was $5,000 last time because of all the coplications she had afterwards.She is taking a supplement right now but I can't really tell that it is helping at all.

Did they take any x-rays of that leg - the knee and the hip? In her situation, the obvious thing to look for a problem would be the previous patellar issue. Could the surgery be having some break down? Could the cartilage in of the patella be wearing down? Could this be something else? You can't look past a ligament injury to the knee as far as a cruciate issue or a meniscal issue. Could it be something with the hip? The Shepherds are notorious for hip issues. What may be an option here is to give her further rest and to up the pain management. You could ask your vet to start up an NSAID to try to give her more comfort and then see what the next few weeks holds in store. I know any surgery can add up quickly as far as costs.

They haven't taken new x-rays. They just manipulated her leg and felt around on her knee and hip. He said he might do x-rays next time she comes in.Are there any supplements or things that you would recommend that could help with hip and joint issues?

Glucosamine supplementation is something that can be done to help improve joint health. Some will utilize an injectable medication called Adequan to help improve overall joint health.

is the injectable medication something that would have to be done at the vet's office?

Here is a good link on the Adequan.

https://www.adequancanine.us/

It is given at the vet's office.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Katie. How is everything going?