Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I noticed my dogs poop was getting soft and then I heard her…

Customer Question
Hi yes I noticed...

Hi yes I noticed my dogs poop was getting soft and then I heard her cry and took her outside she has poop stuck halfway but it is harder than it has been but every once and awhile she gets a little out but it's soft but she cries every time she tries to go I've tried to help get it out but she cries like it hurts and I don't want to hurt her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she isn't quite one yet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fern?

No I didn't know if it had to do with worms I was just treating her for worms

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/20/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

What treatment for worms did you administer?

What breed is she?

There hasn't been any changes in her food and we don't give her any human food but lately she has been getting into a lot of stuff and tearing it up I just give her the same treats she always has had. She is a shorkie and I can't remember what the name a the treatment was but that was a week and a half ago maybe two weeks

Can you tell me what type of things she's been getting into and tearing up?

She's been tearing up cardboard box and a ziplock bag with food in it and she chewed that but didn't eat the food and I've caught her chewing on bags but I've check the bags and there isn't actually an pieces missing

Her chewing and tearing things up could certainly be the cause of her stool becoming soft. This can also cause discomfort when defecating and for stool to become lodged within the body. I would urge you to have an examination done to be sure that this is not the first symptom you're seeing of either constipation, obstipation or a blockage. At home, you can soak her back end in the bath tube to help break up any hardened stool. It may also help to feed her additional fiber. She can have 1/4 cup of boiled rice at each meal per 10# ***** body weight (for example, if she's 20#, she'd receive 1/2c of boiled rice mixed into her regular meal). If you see blood at all in the stool, she needs to be examined and treated. She will also need to be treated if she refuses food, begins vomiting, etc.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Fern doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy