Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My miniature chihuahua had severe kidney failure a week ago

and I had to put...
My miniature chihuahua had severe kidney failure a week ago and I had to put her to sleep. She was 14 years old, but generally in good health. I had mentioned to the vet a year ago that she drank a lot of water. He said that older dogs do have kidney issues, but did not blood work or other testing. I started using simple green floor cleaner then mop n glo to clean our laminate floors throughout the house. I was so pleased as the dog urine, etc odor disappeared and it made the floors shine. My little dog (Emily) started vomiting and had diarrhea for about 2 days so I gave her light food and water thinking it would pass (she had had somewhat similar sensitive stomach issues in the past when we lived elsewhere with different floors.) Saturday, I took her to the vet who said she was in severe kidney failure and would not survive! I insisted she be put in the hospital to try anything that might save her. Monday, he had me come in and said her heart was failing and her breathing was labored. I went to see her and her left eye was totally crusted over. He had given her a narcotic for pain, her tongue was black. I was devastated as I adored that little girl. It kills me, but I had to let her go. He said she was suffering. Please tell me if simple green and mop n glo could cause or contribute to her death. I have another mini chihuahua (he's larger than her) and want to be sure I don't hurt him with products. I need to know if my choice of cleaners hurt my l ittle girl. Please tell me what information you have on these products. I'm in such pain thinking I might have hurt my little girl with my choice of products.Also, Tommy (same age but heartier) has been very quiet and sad since she went to the hospital. We're trying to pay him great attention, but he seems so lost. Sniffs anywhere she would lay down. Sleeps in her bed. What do I do to help him through? We try to never leave him alone and take him everywhere we go. These were my first dogs and they are 14 and 13 so I've taken care of them and they've been with me for a long time. It's as bad as losing a human family member. I'm hurting so very badly at this loss. I have to be sure that I use no product that can harm Tommy.Finally, my friends say it's important that I have another dog soon to keep Tommy company. He's been with Emily his entire life. Always together. Even going into the same kennel cage when we boarded them 2 times. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I sent a question early this morning and have not heard one word about my question. It says "we're reviewing your question." Since 8am? And there were 2 veterinary experts on line! Please advise if I am going to get an answer or not so I can respond accordingly.
9/20/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good afternoon, Charlotte. I apologize for the delay.

Can you tell me if you used the simple green undiluted?

Did either dog ingest either directly?

Has Tommy had bloodwork?

Is he directly related to Emily?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I used in undiluted for n the spray bottle. Same with mop n glo. Neither ingested it directly.but I used both daily on the floor. No bloodwork yet for Tommy but will. Not related to Emily.

Since Tommy is not related to Emily, we would expect his kidneys to not be affected in the way hers were if this was a problem she developed over time or even due to a condition she was prone to developing genetically. I would aim to have bloodwork on Tommy performed just as soon as you can. Nothing I can find on either product shows the risk of kidney failure when used as directed and dogs do not consume directly (thus, passive exposure such as you have described should not result in kidney failure). Given Emily's age, it's very likely this is due to failure of the organ by organic occurrence (not due to the floor cleaners you were using). This theory will be further supported if Tommy's kidneys are functioning well based on the bloodwork.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you don't think I contributed to her passing? I'm hurting so much as she was the light of my life. I told Banfield vets 2 times over the past year that she was drinking a lot of water. He just said "oh she's just getting older and kidneys start to act up. No request to test her blood or try
Meds. The vet who put her to sleep said had they tested her before that there are meds that could have slowed the deterioration down. True?

I don't believe so. It's unfortunate that the vets did not encourage you to perform bloodwork and/or a urinalysis, especially as she was aging.

It really depends on how advanced the disease was but, yes, this is true. A change in diet and in adding medications may have slowed the disease some.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks.
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse