Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I am extremely upset trying to figure out what to do, my dog…

Customer Question
I am extremely upset...

I am extremely upset trying to figure out what to do, my dog got kicked O was told in his torso side

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

He is obviously hurting and sore from the situation that occurred I and I not know how hard he was kicked but his whole body is tight

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Hefner he is 4 1/2 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hefner?

He is eating and drinking just seems sad and sore and a bit out of it Thank you

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/20/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Hefner, please?

Regretfully, it's impossible for me to assess the extent of injury to him from here. He would need to be throroughly examined by his vet including imaging in the form of X-rays and/or ultrasound. As for analgesia, you’re necessarily constrained to either aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight (22 mg per kg of body weight) with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen (Tylenol, e.g.) dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight (15 mg per kg of body weight) thrice daily. Acetaminophen isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin, however. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?