Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 3 year old dachshund suffered seizures starting about 10…

Customer Question
My 3 year old...

My 3 year old dachshund suffered seizures starting about 10 days ago. The vet put her on diazepam and phenobarbital. I've taken her in several times. She is now afraid of me and running away, slobbering and foaming at the mouth uncontrollably. She hasn't eaten in 2 days. I thin i don't think it's just seizures

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Daphne

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daphne?

We got her from the same place as our other dachshund who also suffers from seizures but she is fine with her meds and rarely has a seizure

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear about Daphne's seizures, changes in behavior and personality and loss of appetite.

There can be several reasons for seizures.
The most common is idiopathic epilepsy. That means that we don't know why but a circuit of sensitive neurons in the brain gets stuck repeatedly firing. Epilepsy occurs most frequently for the first time in dogs 6 months to 6 years of age so she is in the right age range for this to be the cause of her seizures. We do believe that there is a genetic basis for dogs to have epilepsy as certain breeds are more commonly afflicted and siblings will often have them as well. If mom carried some of the genetics for epilepsy she may not be affected. But if she bred with a male that also carried some of the genetics for epilepsy (and he may not have been affected either) then together if the wrong combination of genes resulted we could get puppies with epilepsy.

Because your other pup came from the same breeding lines, and your pup's age, it was reasonable to assume that her seizures were secondary to epilepsy, and start medications to prevent them.

So far it sounds like she hasn't tolerated these very well. Both phenobarbital and diazepam can cause changes in mental awareness, drooling, sedation, and incoordination. Generally if we give them time the side effects lessen and the pup reurns to her normal self for the most part. But most dogs on these drugs have an increase in appetite, not loss of appetite. So I am very concerned about that.

One possibility is that she is one of the rare dogs that doesn't tolerate these drugs very well. Perhaps she needs a different drug, for example Keppra.

But perhaps her seizures are not secondary to epilepsy, that would explain her other symptoms. Other causes for seizures are viral, bacterial, parasitic or fungal infections, toxin exposure, metabolic diseases leading to waste products building up and affecting brain chemistry, particularly liver disease (portosystemic shunt or abnormal liver blood vessel development), low blood sugar, or even granulomas or masses in the brain.
Most of the other disease processes that cause seizures cause other symptoms, those dogs are sick or abnormal other than during the seizure. That seems to be the case with her. Given that if she has not have any blood tests done they should be. I would have your veterinarian re-examine her, and check a biochemistry and thyroid profile to look at organ health and thyroid function and a complete blood count and urinalysis. If her liver values seem off, she has low blood protein levels, or she has a small liver on radiographs then bile acids testing should be done.

We do want to make sure there are no underlying problems. This should be done sooner rather than later given her refusal to eat.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****