Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I noticed my dog was licking his penis a lot this morning so…

Customer Question
I noticed my dog...

I noticed my dog was licking his penis a lot this morning so I looked and it was red and swollen. Then I looked a little later and it has yellow pus coming out of it. It's been like this all day now. I don't know if it's hurting him but he keeps licking at it and I'm really worried. My house just flooded due to hurricane Harvey so I don't really have money for a vet right now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

That's all that I know of right now.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/19/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You're described a preputial discharge - the prepuce is the sheath surrounding the penis. There are quite a few considerations when the discharge is excessive. There's always a normal preputial discharge consisting of yellow-white smegma - secretions from the gland-rich prepuce. Abnormal preputial discharge in the form of pus can arise from infection or a foreign body that has made its way up into the space between the prepuce and penis. If blood is seen in the discharge, I need to consider trauma, neoplasia (cancer in the form of venereal transmissable tumor, mainly), prostatic or testicular disease if he's intact (not neutered). In most cases, I examine the entire penis by reflecting the prepuce back; this might entail mildly sedating him. If balanoposthitis (infection of the prepuce) is all I can see, I'll flush the area with warm saline after culturing the discharge. Antibiotics are not indicated and shouldn't be administered when a normal mixed population of preputial bacteria are seen when the discharge is cultured. Flushing with warm saline as necessary should suffice as preputial discharge can be considered normal and of no clinical significance in most dogs except if abundant or associated with other clinical signs - pain, stranguria (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine), or difficulty defecating as might be seen with prostatic neoplasia (in the unneutered or neutered dog) or acute prostatitis (in the unneutered dog). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you. Is the yellow pus? It's difficult for me to tell. You would need a 12" rubber catheter, 12cc syringe and saline and another person to restrain him if you were to attempt flushing the prepuce. It's not a difficult thing to do but does take a bit of finesse.

Thank you very much

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?