Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

He had a small amount of foam around his nostrils while we

were on our walk. He's...
He had a small amount of foam around his nostrils while we were on our walk. He's been acting a little strange, he only wants to be in two spot in our apartment. He's been panting every once in a while but I chalked it up to being antsy. We're close to the fire outside of Portland so we haven't taken him many places while the air was deemed unsafe. The rain has cleared smoke where I live so we went on a walk. I'm naturally anxiety-ridden, so I'm freaking out. I'm also currently broke so I was hoping there was something I could do before taking him to a vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Optimus, 4 years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Optimus?
Customer: I also noticed twice when I've hugged him while he was panting that he was shaking like little dogs do when they're scared.
9/19/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Optimus had some foam around the nostrils, shaking, and is sitting in only two spots in your apartment. Can you please tell me if his appetite is decreased or if there is any vomiting?

He really only eats at night, that's how he's been for years though; unless it's wet food. That he eats right away. He is a consistent beggar but a couple of evenings ago he didn't beg at all, which threw me off, but he's been back to his antics since then.
We leave his food out all day, just in case, now and again he'll eat a little during the day.

Thank you for that information. I am typing my response now. Please bear with me a moment longer.

Let's start with the foam. If it is truly coming from his nostrils then this is likely an indication of mild upper respiratory inflammation, which can be caused by relatively harmless factors such as airway irritants. Benadryl may be beneficial for this. However, if the foam is coming from the mouth and happened to move up towards the nostrils then nausea is usually the underlying factor. Shaking is a behavior seen almost invariably with anxiety or discomfort. Common sources of discomfort in dogs is muscle/skeletal pain in the back or nausea. The history of Optimus not having a very good appetite recently tells me that nausea is a higher concern then pain. A physical exam would help determine where the pain is likely coming from.

Nausea can be caused by all sorts of reasons including food intolerance / allergies, parasites, anxiety/stress, metabolic disease, foreign body, etc. Treatment is best with a low fat food (i.e. boiled chicken, white rice, sweet potato) fed in small amounts and a medication for nausea. A decent over-the-counter option for nausea is Pepcid.

We moved from Nashville to Portland at the beginning of June, we took seven days while stopping along the way. He acted like this around when we arrived. We were staying with a friend then. About a month ago we moved into a new apartment. Both my husband and I have been highly stressed, which I've heard can also have an affect on your dog. Do you think it could possibly be more anxiety than pain?

It is possible this is anxiety if the environment at home is highly stressed (i.e. unpacked boxes, furniture being moved, people in and out of apartment, etc.). If the environment has been settled for a few weeks then I would not expect this to be a high differential. However, if you have never noticed this behavior from him until the move then I would recommend to consider treatment for anxiety and see if it improves. "Dog Appeasing Pheromone" (i.e. DAPP) can be helpful as well as over-the-counter medications like Benadryl. Lavender is a safe essential oil that you can use if you have access. If a stronger medication is needed then your veterinarian can write a prescription for Xanax or an equivalent.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave 1-5 stars. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.
Thank you so much. I will gladly leave a review.

Thank you. All the best to you and Optimus

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian