Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have tried to chat several times today, hopefully this

I have tried to chat several times today, hopefully this will work. I am on satellite Internet in remote Montana. Can you see this?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: I believe my dachshund has a tooth abscess. She has acted stragely for a couple of days and I just thought it was from traveling. This morning I noticed lump below her right ear. And she is in pain when waiting.
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rose age 9 she was 12 lbs at last very appt in July
JA: How old is Rose?
Customer: 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rose?
Customer: No med no symptoms until Sun late pm, lethargic lump appeared overnight

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. If there is a defined bump under the eye, that is usually a tooth abscess. You cannot rule out some form of trauma, other infection or tumor; but that is usually a tooth root abscess. Eventually they rupture and drain. It usually feels better when they do. Ultimately, she needs to be on antibiotics and have that tooth removed if that is the case. If you are unable to get her to a vet right away, you can try placing a warm compress over the area 2-3 times a day for 10-15 minutes. That may to soften it and open it up to drain better. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am on my friend's ranch and he had an unopened vial of penicillin g potassium 300,000 units per ml. that he has used for his cattle. His very advised he could use it on dogs. I won't have a way down to town until Thursday and am concerned the infection may worsen. Is this a safe option? what dosage for 10 lb dog to be on safe side?

Honestly, I would just wait until Thursday to have her seen by your vet. We do use this in dogs, although I haven't used it in a long time, but I cannot guarantee that it will be safe. She could possibly have a reaction, then you are really in a bad situation. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She took pen 4 yes ago when she was bitten by a snake. I am concerned she will worsen before th since she has not eaten since 1 yesterday. And th is best case. We are literally stranded on a mt. Besides poss reaction are there other concerns? I would really like to start her if no others.

An allergic reaction would be the biggest concern. That would include full blown anaphylaxis. Blood cell abnormalities would be another. Otherwise, side effects should be minimal. Just because she didn't have a reaction the first time, doesn't mean it cannot happen the next time. That is how many allergic reactions actually start, from previous exposure. Realize, though, that I cannot legally recommend you giving a medication that wasn't prescribed for her. It makes me liable. I wouldn't recommend using it. I would probably use 0.75 mls twice daily if I would use this medication for this purpose. I would recommend that you use the warm compress first to see if that helps. It is a lot safer and may do the trick for you. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand. I won't use it. I will try the compress and figure out some liquid diet. She tried to eat sliced turkey but it was very painful so I doubt I can get enough in her to make a difference. Can I reply to this thread at a later time if her condition worsens?

Yes, you absolutely can. As far as pain goes, there are no human OTC pain medication that are completely safe. Enteric coated aspirin (walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm) is the only one that is somewhat safe, but it can still cause gastrointestinal problems, including bleeding, and kidney problems and may interfere with other medications you vet may want to use.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you for your help!

You are very welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John