Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My corgi puppy had his third set of puppy shots a week ago…

My corgi puppy had...

My corgi puppy had his third set of puppy shots a week ago today. Now we just found a knot under his skin, about the size of a marble at the same spot as where he got his shots. He had his first rabies shot along with the puppy shots. The knot is pretty hard but not hot and doesn't seem to bother him. What to do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Puppy?

No, he's been perfectly healthy since we got him. He was a bit lethargic (if a corgi puppy is ever really lethargic) after his first two sets of shots, but it only lasted a day and he was never off his food or anything.

9/19/2017
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.

Was the vaccine given between the shoulder blades, or did they give in the muscle in rear flank?

Joan

Between his shoulder blades. He also has a microchip but he got that at the breeder's, before we got him.

The lump is a common problem with the Rabies vaccine. It is the Puppy's body reacting to the Rabies Vaccine. Most Vets are going away from giving the Vaccines between the shoulder blades because of that reactin and going to the muscle shots in the rear flanks. They do the rabies on one side and the DHL2P on the other side. It seems to help where they do not get as bad a lump. You can apply some warm compresses to the area, but it will resolve in time.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Do you think I should call the vet in the morning? My puppy still has to get one more distemper shot. Could he be a puppy that is particularly sensitive to shots?

You can let your Vet know, but this is normal to see a small marble like lump from the rabies vaccine. He is not vomiting, lethargic or having diarrhea, so it it is not an allegic reaction, but his body is responding to the vaccine.

Joan

Thanks. I'll let them know. He seems quite fine otherwise, very playful and his normal ravenous appetite, no diarrhea. I just checked it again and I'd say it's smaller than a marble; no more than 1 cm across. It's kind of hard to tell because he has a lot of fur. Sounds like I don't have to panic about my beautiful puppy.

No Panic, this is a normal vaccine reaction. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Thank you, Joan. I'll be able to sleep tonight now. This puppy (Mork) is family.

I understand my girl just turned 11.

Joan

I sooo get that. Thank you and good night.
Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech