Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I think she ate an ibuprofen, Frieda. She is 10 year old…

I think she ate...

I think she ate an ibuprofen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Frieda. She is 10 year old German Shepard, weighing 80lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frieda?

She takes prozac for anxiety, dasaquin joint supplement

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denis, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Frieda.

How long ago might she have eaten the Ibuprofen?

Was it a standard 200mg tablet?

It was about 15 minutes ago
Did I lose you?

I'm here, just calculating her dose to determine if she received a toxic dose.

Luckily, due to her size, if she only ingested 1 tablet, it is below the toxic range. She received a 5mg/kg dose.

Ok, thank you.

She may experience GI upset, however, and the potential for this can be reduced by giving and antacid.

Omeprazole (60mg) can be given daily, or Famotidine (40mg) can be given every 12 hours to reduce acid production in her stomach.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian
Nope. I think I can sleep tonight now, thank you!

You are very welcome.

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian