Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a Bichon Frise (9 yr old) and a 5 yr Old Golden Ret.

Both have been scratching some...
I have a Bichon Frise (9 yr old) and a 5 yr Old Golden Ret. Both have been scratching some and licking their feet for a good while (3-4 months) off and on. The Bichon will pull out bites of his hair in one spot from time to time. I feed them both Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain-Free Recipe for Dogs, Adult Chicken Recipe Grain Free. They seem to love the food been eating it 3 years. I was hoping that by adding some DINOVITE to the mix that it would help the licking and such but it seem to make the Bichon go Crazy Licking and biting at himself. We D/C the Dinovite in the food and have been giving them both Benadryl for itching. Last night we had to put a cone on the bichon he got to biting at himself so much. He gets a bath every 6 weeks at Groomers I bathed him myself last night to try to give him some relief but it did not seem to help. I
In addition the Golden does not willingly let you cut his nails we have to put a muzzle on him at the vet and he still fights us to hold him down is there like Dog Valium for stressful times such as this?? Thanks
9/19/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How much does each dog weigh?

How much Benadryl is being given to each dog and how often?

Have any other medications been tried?

Does the golden have nails trimmed at home or at the vet's office?

Also I have an employee that has 12 cats (That is a lot of cats) and my dogs go to work with me daily, is there any way that they could have got something from her bringing it in on her shoes/cloth. She has had some flea problems in the past few months. MY dogs are on Trifexis .

Did the questions post above?

Max is 20 pounds and we give him 1 (25 mg) Benadryl about 2-3 times a day if needed (scratching) The Golden is 80 pounds and we give him 2 (25 mg) Benadryl about 2-3 times a day if needed. No other medications for the itching other than the Dinovite and he gets his nails trimmed at Vet but I was hoping to do it myself
the Questions did post

Starting at the top:

Allergies:
You can give 1-2mg/pound of body weight of Benadryl every 8-12 hours as needed for itching. If this has not helped either dog, go up to the max dose and frequency. I have found that other antihistamines work better than Benadryl, such as Zyrtec. You can find dosing info here: http://www.aahneenah.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/antihistamines_dogs.pdf If the itching persists, you'll need to see your vet for medication to help with seasonal allergies (the most likely cause of scratching and licking their feet). Other medications to try could include atopica, apoquel or cytopoint.

Nail trims at home:
Most dogs who fight the vet will fight even worse at home. Your vet can prescribe medication to help calm Hunter for nail trims but this is going to take the edge off of the behavior. It won't have him laying out asleep on the floor for nail trims. Medications your vet may recommend would be acepromazine, alprazolam, etc.

Employee's cats:
Your employee could certainly bring fleas from home on their clothing, though the risk is rather low. Your dogs would be at a similar risk of flea encounters by going outside to potty or coming to work. Trifexis should help to decrease the risk of flea bites and the licking of the feet highly suggests this is a seasonal allergy and not flea-based. Those types of allergies usually involve licking at the base of the spine, right above the tail where fleas tend to congregate. Body-wide scratching can occur with flea allergy dermatitis or with seasonal allergies.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

They both pull themselves forward with front paws while sitting (scratching their butts) this is both dogs and this is maybe 1-2 times a day I see it

If they're dragging their anus on the carpet or ground this is an indication that their anal glands need to be expressed. I would ask the groomer they see if they express anal glands internally. If not, your vet will need to express them when you see the behavior.

with Max how much could we give him max dose so he might get some sleep tonight as well as us. if He was 25 pounds I can see it being 2 - 25 mg pills but since he is 20 pounds is it need to be 1 and 1/2 ?

1.5 would be perfectly fine. If you have the capsules, giving 50mg shouldn't hurt.

Our Vet Did Hunters last visit (anal glands) and he stopped doing it after that but has started some again.

Many dogs need them expressed every 4-6 weeks. When they're dragging, they need to be expressed again. I'd plan to visit your vet monthly for this if your groomer doesn't express them internally. This should prevent them from becoming impacted and abscessing, it should also decrease his discomfort with them being full and minimize you seeing the scooting behavior.

Thanks for you help one last question is spraying Benadryl spray on the spots max seems to try to bite at a good or bad idea?

Sprays can contain zinc, which can be toxic to dogs. I would not recommend doing this. I would use only sprays approved for usage in dogs and be sure that none comes in contact with the mouth, so an e-collar needs to be used.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thanks for your help have a great night.
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse