Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He has diarrhea and conjunctivitis. He just started a

Customer Question
He has diarrhea and...

He has diarrhea and conjunctivitis. He just started a steroid last week for the conjunctivitis, and now has loose stools.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Clyde. He's 9.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clyde?

He's had seasonal allergies in the past. The conjunctivitis is a first though.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/19/2017
Dog Specialist: Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

Did your vet do a test where he/she put a special stain in the eye and rinsed it out and then turned the lights off and looked at the eyes with a special blue light?

Hi! Yes. No scratches.

Great. Are the steroids in eyedrop form or oral?

My daughter (who is 16) was up all night with him last night. She said his stools are bloody. She prescribed eye drops...but it's more of a salve.

The eye medication is unlikely to be the cause of this. Has he had any new foods or table scraps in the past few days, especially any meat/fatty table scraps? Any new treats? Anything stressful?

No. Nothing different from our regular schedule.
Could he of possibly ate something?

Okay. For tonight, feed a bland diet of boiled chicken breast mixed with white rice. See your vet tomorrow to see if there is an intestinal bacterial overgrowth causing the bloody stool. Might not be a bad idea to stop the eye meds for now just in case your dog is super sensitive to steroids. If he had eaten something that was stuck he would be vomiting. He may have eaten something outside that is disagreeing with his intestines, hard for me to say. As long as his gums are pink, you can wait to see your vet tomorrow. How much does he weigh?

Are you there?

He weights 58lbs. (Sorry, at dinner)
His last dose was on Friday.)
Sorry, when I didn't hear back from you I went to bed. I was just going to tell you that you can give one tablet of Imodium A.D. every eight hours as needed until you see your vet. Good luck!

Did you get my response? How did things go today?