Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dogs left leg is very swollen down to his toes. I see

My dogs left leg is very swollen down to his toes. I see purple / reddish color on his skin in those areas and spot is hot to touch.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Name is ***** ***** is a 9 year old boxer
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bowden?
Customer: We had him in a few weeks ago because he was panting and drooling : pacing all night.. vet did X-ray and thinks a cloudy area above hi intestines might be lymphoma or infection. We treated as infection and has been taking rimadyl /clavamox / cerenia
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm still waiting...

.My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I just signed on and was asked to assist you.

What you are describing sounds like a serious infection in the leg and needs to be seen by the Vet. This is an infection from what you described and can be septic. This is not something you want to wait to see the Vet with. It may be related to the other issue that you were into the Vet for.

I do urge the dog be seen as soon as Reasonably possible. You can try soaking in warm water and epsom salts, but there is something going on either in the bone, muscle or fleshy are of the leg that needs to be treated hands on.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has been fine after his last visit to the vet.. Meds seemed to work.. he is back on the Meds given for the infection and swelling seems to have gone down..
we think he slipped on our hard floors a week ago and swelling slowly started to appear..

Swelling from an injury usually appears in the first 24 hours. It is possible an injury, but sounds more like a bite or an infection. Try the warm Epsom salt soak and see if takes some of the inflammation out from the leg. I would still have it looked at, as it could be a pider bite.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you

Insect bites can cause the swelling you have described. As mentioned the warm soak in epsom salts for the leg should help with inflammation, swelling and heat.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you we will try this.. I did kill 3 very large spiders in the last few days after the hurricane hit and mentioned this could be it as well

I am in Florida annd after Irma we had to set spider traps and spary. We have seen some exceptionally large spiders and that would definately cause what you have described because of the venom.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
10-4
Swelling around the ankle is not a bad as before .. i still may take him in tomorrow just to be sure.. poor guy has had a rough month
Thank you for your help

You are welcome! I hope you have recovered well from the storm and your boy will also feel better. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan